DEATH DTA TOURS regret that, due to several factors, MASSACRE will not be taking part in the “Symbolic 20th Anniversary” European tour in late February/March 2015. Unfortunately, MASSACRE also had to cut their participation in the Swamp Leper Stomp ’14 tour with DTA, OBITUARY and RIVERS OF NIHIL by one show.
MASSACRE bassist Terry Butler and vocalist Ed Webb today issued joint statements indicating that they have formally exited the band:
Said Terry Butler:
“It’s with a heavy heart that I am announcing my departure from MASSACRE. I wish Ed, [drummer] Mikey [Mazzonetto] and [guitarist] Rick [Rozz] the best of luck with their future endeavors. I would like to thank the awesome fans for their support and loyalty and to those who labored to help bring the band back from beyond. Thank you as well….Arrivederci!”
Adds Ed Webb:
“After much thought and consideration it is with deep regret that I announce my departure from MASSACRE. This was not an easy decision to make but a necessary one. The last four years have had its share of both unbelievable times as well as some times I wish to forget. I want to thank all of the Massacre fans, those who accepted me as the new vocalist as well as those who didn’t. You guys gave me the desire to work harder than I ever had in the past. I also had the privilege to play some of the most incredible shows, do some killer tours and meet a lot of great people along the way. At this point, I am going to just concentrate on my two main projects [Generichrist and Destined To Ruin] as well as a few other projects I am working on. I want to endlessly thank Terry, Rick and Mikey for the opportunity to record an absolutely crushing CD and get to tour around the world with them. I wish them all the best in their future endeavors. I hope to see everyone in the future and thanks for letting me do what I live to do!”
METAL DESCENT’s WEEK IN REVIEW
Need to know what to get your favorite Metalhead for the holiday season?
NEWS OF NOTE
- Highly-acclaimed and much-loved Alaskan band 36 CRAZYFISTS, who have crafted their own unique blend of metal, post-hardcore, metalcore and beyond, have revealed the cover for their new albumTime and Trauma, out February 17th via Spinefarm Records. Pre-order bundles, featuring various merch items and a limited edition hockey puck, can be purchased HERE. Also, fans can pre-order the digital album, which includes the instant grat track “Also Am I,” HERE. 36 CRAZYFISTS will also embark on a headline tour of Europe in February 2015.
- ANTHRAX , along with producer Jay Ruston, is currently in a Los Angeles studio recording the follow up to their 2011 Grammy-nominated, critically-acclaimed album Worship Music. The band – Charlie Benante/drums, Frank Bello/bass, Joey Belladonna/vocals, Scott Ian/guitars and Jon Donais/guitars – has been writing and demo’ing new songs over the past few months and plans to record well into January. The as yet untitled album, the band’s eleventh full studio collection, is set for a 2015 release (Megaforce Records). This video clip was filmed the first day of recording.
- ANTHRAX has aligned with Jefferson’s Bourbon, the Kentucky-based company that produces special, limited edition “small batch” whiskeys by blending a variety of aged bourbons and rye whiskeys. Anthrax’s “Indians,” a single barrel bourbon, was personally chosen by the band and will taste like no other due to its particular blend and the barrel it was aged in. Anthrax’s “Indians” bourbon is now available exclusively through Atlantic City Bottle Company – http://acbottlecompany.com/ . “Indians” will be priced at $75 per bottle (in-store pick up) and $100 (shipped to an address) and will come with a signed piece of the stave of the barrel that the bourbon was aged in.
- Seminal NYC hardcore veterans AGNOSTIC FRONT, are currently in the studio recording their 11th studio album at Buzzbomb Sound Labs. The band has uploaded a photo gallery with pictures from the session so far on their Facebook page here.
- Metal’s highly-esteemed storytellers BLIND GUARDIAN have just released the second album trailer for their highly-anticipated tenth studio release, Beyond The Red Mirror, due out ion February 3rd, 2015 in North America.
- Artery Recordings/Razor & Tie band CHELSEA GRIN will hit the road as headliner on The Ashes To Ashes Tour presented by Substream. The tour features support of their label mates, SWORN IN along with other special guests, CARNIFEX, BLACK TONGUE and THE FAMILY RUN. The tour will kick off on March 6th in Murray, UT and wrap up on March 28th in Sacramento, CA. Tour dates may be found HERE.
- Prosthetic Records’ previously announced limited-edition reissues of the classic albums Blind (1991) and Deliverance (1994) from metal legends CORROSION OF CONFORMITY (C.O.C.) will hit the shelves of your local record shop on Jan. 27, 2015. Both releases, currently available for pre-order through the Prosthetic webstore, are limited to 1,000 copies each. In addition to the reissues, new editions of vintage C.O.C. merch designs from the era are now available! Check them out at http://store.prostheticrecords.com/bands/corrosion-of-conformity.
- ENSIFERUM’s One Man Army will be released via Metal Blade Records on February 24th, 2015. The predominantly analog-recorded offering was tracked between September and November of this year with award-winning producer Anssi Kippo (Children Of Bodom, Impaled Nazarene, Entwine etc.) at Astia-Studios in Lappeenranta, Finland. In the meantime, 70,000 Tons of Metal voyagers will be able to catch ENSIFERUM live next month before they kick off a massive European trek, wielding their swords alongside Insomnium and Omnium Gatherum.
- In Times will be the title of the thirteenth studio album by Norwegian progressive extreme metallers ENSLAVED. Hand-painted artwork is by long-time collaborating artist and “sixth ENSLAVED member” Truls Espedal. The album will be released on March 6 (Europe) and March 10, 2015 (N. America). Main recordings for In Times took place at Duper Studios to Solslottet Studio in Bergen, Norway with additional recordings sessions at Conclave & Earshot Studios (presided over by ENSLAVED members Larsen and Ice Dale), and Ivar Bjørnson’s Peersonal Sound Studios. Additional experimentation and sonic exploration was conducted deep in the woods of Valevåg south of Bergen where a mobile studio recorded additional sounds. In Times was produced by band members Ivar Bjørnson, Grutle Kjellson & Herbrand Larsen together with Iver Sandøy. Mixing was completed by Jens Bogren at Fascination Street Studios in Örebro, Sweden. ENSLAVED will be touring the U.S. and Canada with YOB and ECSTATIC VISION in March of 2015. Tour dates may be found HERE.
- Originally released in 1998, EXHUMED’s now-classic debut full-length, Gore Metal, was a boundary defying offering of filth-ridden, grinding, over-the-top death-metal. Not content to let the album rot away, EXHUMED returned to the studio almost two decades later to re-record the landmark offering. The resulting Gore Metal: A Necrospective 1998 – 2015, set for release this February via Relapse Records, maintains the maniacal ferocity of the original recordings while adding depth to the sonic devourment thanks in no small part to years of touring and a vastly improved-sounding recording quality.
- Pioneers of Sumerian thrashing black metal, MELECHESH, recently revealed the names of the guest musicians that have contributed to the band’s upcoming album, Enki. The follow-up to 2010’s masterpiece The Epigenesis marks the band’s sixth full-length album and will feature iconic guests Max Cavalera (SOULFLY, CAVALERA CONSPIRACY, KILLER BE KILLED), Sakis Tolis (ROTTING CHRIST) and Rob Caggiano (VOLBEAT, ex-ANTHRAX).
- Von Badsville & Neil Turbin Presents NAMM Metal Jam 2015 to benefit the Ronnie James Dio Stand Up and Shout Cancer Fund and Dick Wagner’s Rockers for St. Jude. The 8th annual event will feature current/former members of Anthrax, Dio, DeathRiders, Alcatrazz, Arthemis, Great White, Exciter, Hurricane, Jon Oliva’s Pain, Femme Fatale, Leatherwolf, Lizzy Borden, London, Lynch Mob, Nitro, Bleed The Hunger, Obituary, Savatage, Snow, Steel Prophet, Deicide, Talisman, Sabbath Judas Sabbath, The Iron Maidens and more. NAMM Metal Jam 2015 will be held on January 21, 2015, at The Slidebar Fullerton, only 5 miles from Anaheim Convention Center. Advance tickets are available for $15 HERE. Tickets can be purchased at the door for $20. A NAMM badge is not required for admission. For more information, visit http://www.nammmetaljam.com.
- Recording of the drums, lead vocals, rhythm guitar, and bass – a.k.a. the bulk of the as-yet-untitled new SYMPHONY X album – is complete. In the next few weeks, the keyboards, guitar solos, background vocals, and some miscellaneous odds and ends will be done, with the goal to have everything recorded by the end of the month.
- METALSUCKS and THE CONTORTIONIST have announced a heavy hitting headline run with notable acts REVOCATION, FALLUJAH and TOOTHGRINDER in support. Dates will start onFebruary 7th in their hometown of Indianapolis and wrap up in Newport, KY on February 28th after covering much of the eastern half of the U.S.
- Italian power trio, UFOMAMMUT, is putting the final details on the band’s anticipated seventh studio full-length in order for the album to see an early Spring 2015 worldwide release, once again through Neurot Recordings. While virtually no specific details on the album are yet to be revealed to the public, the album is fully mixed, mastered and going into production now. The record’s title, release date and much more will be unveiled at the dawn of 2015, and mass album and tour updates will ensue through the rest of the year.
- American extreme metal giants WHITE CHAPEL are finally coming back to Europe! The Knoxville, TN outfit will join the Progression Tour and the Impercion Festivals in spring of 2015. Good friendly violent fun guaranteed!
I.O. Kirkwood is METAL DESCENT’s Senior Live Music Editor. You can read her personal blog HERE.